What causes delayed periods after protected sex?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Me and my girlfriend are 19 years old. My girlfriend had her period on 5th May. We had sex on the 19th of May. We used a condom. I pulled out before I ejaculated. The condom did not tear or break.
She hasn't had her period since then. She has had irregular periods often. She has hereditary thyroid problems and has received treatment for missed periods before in her life.
We are worried about pregnancy. What are the chances that she might be pregnant? Please help.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi!
If you have had protected intercourse even thought 19th May was her ovulation period( fertile days) ,chances for pregnancy are very very low.
Women whose partners use male condoms experience a 2% per-year pregnancy rate with perfect use.
Hence she should take a urine pregnancy test at home because we cant exclude/confirm a pregnancy.

If pregnancy test will be negative than she should contact with an endocrinologist because missed periods may be from thyroid problems.
Thyroid problems are associated with missed periods .

All the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 21 hours later
Thanks for your answer.
Before she takes the rest is there some way to guess? Are there any symptoms to look for that can tell either? Is the likelihood truly low if we used protection and also did not ejaculate? We have started new jobs in different cities and the stress level has been high. Could that be a factor? How late can a period be?
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I don't rely on symptoms to detect pregnancy...

Detailed Answer:
Hi again!

Both the factors having thyroid problems in the past and excessive stress can cause a missed period or delay periods.

You have protected intercourse and you did not ejaculate ,chances for pregnancy almost are zero.
But to be calm both of you ,take a urine pregnancy test.

Symptoms of pregnancy and premenstrual symptoms with delayed period match each other. There is no way of differentiating it symptom wise. So don't rely on them.

Take care and don't worry
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 16 days later
Hi
Thank you for your answer. She had her period around 28th XXXXXXX The period was long. Now today the bleeding has again started. We are worried. Is this okay? What could be the problem?
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi!
Irregular bleeding with delay periods and/or metroagia (bleeding between menstrual cycles) have many causes but referring to her anamenzes that she have suffered and been treated for thyroid problems ,she should consult with endocrinologist.

If her balance of thyroid hormone is normal than she should consult with a gyn to determine he cause of irregular bleeding.

Thyroid problems are related with periods .
Treating the cause of bleeding is the best.

Take care for her and dont worry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju