What causes delayed periods after IUD removal?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I had my iud removed on the 24th Sept, I am wondering if this could cause a late period? I've only had the iud for almost 6months.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Removal of IUD can delay periods

Detailed Answer:

I have read you query and I understand your concerns about delayed periods.

Following is my reply:

1) Removal of IUD is associated with delayed periods in some women.

2) Though it was inserted 6months back, it is possible that the periods could have been delayed.

3) Please wait for periods to resume without taking any pills.

I hope I answered you query and addressed your concerns.

Let me know if you wish to ask any further questions. I will be glad to help you.

Dr. Soumya
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:

If you your boyfriend has ejaculated in you after removal of IUD there is possibility of pregnancy.

In that case wait for a week and then do pregnancy test.

Let me know when was your last period date?
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 5 minutes later
What if I was intimate with my boyfriend and he ejaculated in, could that possibility mean I am pregnant?
I had my IUD removed in the morning, later that afternoon we were intimate, and he ejaculated in me the first time then! My last period date was 9/09- 9/12 or 9/13.
And he has ejaculated in me a few more times within the last two weeks.
Could our first time together after my IUD removal gotten me pregnant if possible?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is possibility of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:

Yes. There is possibility of pregnancy looking at the dates you have mentioned.

First time together after IUD removal can make you pregnant.

Pregnancy possibilities exist in your situation.
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 13 minutes later
So since my last period date on 9/09- 9/12 or 13th to the 24th Sept after my IUD removal in the morning and being Intimate with my boyfriend later that afternoon and him ejaculating in me. Up until today 10/09 if I am not having a period delay from my IUD removal, than I am pregnant!?
which means I can try to make sure with a home pregnancy test and know which result it is.
The next day which was on 9/25th I had a really high body temperature/body aches, from then on I had really bad cramping for no reason (I am guessing ), I felt tired all the time. And every time I overwork my body I felt nauseous. Did this had anything to do with my IUD removal or my possibly being pregnant?
I am really appreciating the time you are taking to help me.
Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy test after one week

Detailed Answer:

It is difficult to predict if delay i periods is due to IUD removal or due to Pregnancy as there is no periods in both situations.

Since your boyfriend has ejaculated multiple times after IUD removal pregnancy chances exist.

Home pregnancy test can be done after one week as it is early for it to show result.

It is possible to have cramps after IUD removal as uterus tries to adjust to new environment. The other symptoms you have mentioned are associated with it and will go away after next cycle if you are not pregnant. There is nothing to worry about it.

I will be glad to answer anymore queries you have.

Follow up: Dr. Soumya 5 minutes later
Thank you so very much.
That was all I had in mind.
thank you.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome to ask questions anytime

Detailed Answer:

You are welcome to ask questions anytime directly to me by pasting following link in your browser:

XXXX
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 4 minutes later
Cool. I will.
I will close the discussion and review you.
if that's ok Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Soumya 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wish you good health

Detailed Answer:

You can close the discussion and write a review.