What causes delayed period despite having negative pregnancy test?

Posted on Mon, 31 Aug 2015 in Women's Health
Question: My period comes 30 of every month but this time peroid come early on 21 of XXXXXXX 2015 which is 10 day early But today is 10 August but still period not come . I given my blood test on 10 august for serum beta hcg level .which is <0.100 mlu/ml result is negative . But priod not come .kindly help me. We have done sex with condom in this priod .
Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The first choice will be devery

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I do empathize your worry.

A woman who has regular menses if suddenly starts having irregularity in the menses, is going to be apprehensive. However, it is only last two cycles which have not shown in time. I am suggesting two options for you. You may choose any one:

1. Since your Beta hCG test has revealed no pregnancy, you may take devery like progesterone preparation for 4-5 days and then discontinue it. Within 4-8 days, you will get menses. Get these tablets by Gynaecologists advice and prescription only. Then observe your menses for next few months, if they still continue to be irregular, report to the Gynaecologist for hormonal work up.
2. Alternatively, report to the Gynaecologist for investigations of irregular menstruations. You may be asked for hormonal work up like FSH, LH, Oestrogen, Progesterone, Prolactin, etc. Before hormonal check up, you will be examined internally to find any organic disease like infection or tumour. Ultrasonography also will reveal a good amount of information regarding your internal organs (and even pregnancy also).

Will you please inform me about your age, marital status and family history (number of children, etc.). It may change the given advice.

Please let me know which option you are following, the information I have requested for and also the results of the accepted option.

For any more information and further advice, I am always available for you XXXXXXX I am keenly waiting for the more information, up date and follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Nishikant Shrotri

OBGYN