What causes delayed menstruation while on Folate?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I'm suggested foluate 5mg folic acid tablet by my doctor after an ectopic.... it was 3 months before pregnancy and throughout.... I delayed my periods by 5 days.... I'm not in sexual activities...... can this be due to excess of folic acid... because I'm using it regularly since last period....
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not due to folic acid.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Folic acid is a water soluble vitamin and if taken in excess is excreted out in urine. It is known to reduce fetal neural tube defects if taken regularly during early conception. It is not harmful to the body. It is not the cause of delay in your periods. This can be related to a mild hormonal imbalance or stress.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal