What causes delayed menstruation even after having Duphaston?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi doc ,I have to start my ivf in my coming cycle , my periods were due on 2nd Oct and I have still not got it ..as my periods are irregular sometimes my doc suggested me duphaston 10 mg twice for five days which I had from 18th -22nd day of my last period cycle which was 20th -24 sept..it's been 9 days I have stopped duphaston but still not received periods ..please suggest as I quite worried have to start my ivf cycle ...what should I do
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
IVF cycle can be started later

Detailed Answer:

I have read you query and I understand your concerns about delayed periods.

Following is my reply:

1) Though you have taken duphaston, that may not have been enough for you.

2) Your hormonal profile may be different from others. You are likely to need an estrogen tablet along with duphaston.

3) Please wait for cycle to start spontaneously and IVF can be started after cycle starts as taking more medicines at this stage is going to add to confusion.

4) If no periods in next 15 days, request your doctor for combination of estradiol and progesterone tablets for periods to start on time.

I hope I answered you query and addressed your concerns.

Let me know if you wish to ask any further questions. I will be glad to help you.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol.

IVF & Infertility Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 34 minutes later
Thanks doc for the reply ..
Currently I have breast tenderness,swollen and pain and feel discomfort in my abdomen sometimes .All these symptoms are because of duphaston or pre periods symptoms...due to which I bit worried ..please suggest
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pre periods more likely

Detailed Answer:

These symptoms are likely to be pre periods. But even Duphaston causes these symptoms and is difficult to differentiate both.