What causes delay in periods with negative pregnancy tests?

Posted on Sat, 25 Oct 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Dear Docter,
I had my last menses on 31st august 2014. I have a delay in menses now. I am sexualIy active, did several upts on earling morning urine. All negative. Consulted gynecologist yesterday. Serum hcg, TSH, prolactin and CBC was done. Got my reports today. My hcg is less than 1.2 mIU/ml. TSH, prolactin in normal range.
CBC shows high wbc count. If I am not pregnant, no hormonal problem, then why my periods have not arrived? I have tonsils infection last one month, was treated with augmentin for 10 days. I also had a small road accidet in this month. Orthopedic docter prescibed muscle relaxants and painkillers for 5 days. This is I am mentioning for your information. My next appointment with gynecologist is next week to show reports. Till then I am worried why my menses not arrived yet? Kindly help.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
stress may be leading to the delayed periods

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HCM,

I am Dr Madhuri a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist and will be helping you with your queries.
I understand the issue well. However, this is not an unusual complaint. Many women have a delayed period due to stress or subtle imbalances in hormones not detected by tests.

Since the date of the last period was 31 august and TSH and prolactin are negative, as of now, I suggest that you just repeat a urine test for pregnancy after 7 days if the periods do not come by then. If it is still negative then you may safely take tablet medroxyprogesterone for 3 days and then periods usually come 7 days after stopping the tablet.

As of now, there is no need to worry, the ultrasound and blood reports are negative, so the only reason may be stress of a delay in period that further enhances the delay. Please do not worry. Just wait patiently. Also moderate exercise and meditation every day help combat the stress and regularize the periods.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist     
[You may also ask me direct questions at the following link. http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-madhuri-n-bagde/66844 Thanks!!]

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN