• question-icon

What causes delay in period post treatment for PCOS?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Infertility Problem
Question: I have pcos i was taking treatment for 6 month (clomid. Utrogestan, pregnyl) on my last cycle i had iui wih gonal f shots but there was no success after that i decided to stop the treatment for a month. My period was never on time before i start the treatment but since i started it it became so on time for 6 month. Since i stopped for one month my period is now late for 5 days i got some period cramps 5 days ago but atill no sign of period. Is it normal for a period to be late when i stop treatment Or it just went back to like before I start any treatment ... Also can I get pregnant with pcos and no treatment?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can get pregnant

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns.

Your periods were on-time during treatment because of progesterone hormone you were taking and nothing else.

Let me know if you are overweight. You need to lose weight to get regular periods if overweight.

You can get pregnant though you have PCOS.

please get your husband's semen analysis done.

Let me know if you need anymore help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 49 minutes later
Iam overweight iam 175 meters and 92 kilos. My husband has already done semen analysis and they came out very good as the doctor said .. But mow this month i still did not get my period is it normal or is there a chance i could be pregnant ? My breast are sore and i get cramps different times a days
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Delayed periods due to overweight

Detailed Answer:

That's exactly what I was saying. Delayed periods are due to overweight problem. Reducing weight will automatically help in regularizing periods as well.

I don't think you are pregnant now. These symptoms of sore breast and crampa are due to progesterone hormone increase due to delayed periods.

Let me know if you need anymore help.
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
When should i expect my period? ( take in notice for 6 month i always got it in the 1st day of the month?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait for a week

Detailed Answer:

It is difficult to predict exact date of your possible periods.

I suggest you wait for another week before doing pregnancy test.

It is possible for periods to vary once in a while. Meanwhile please try reducing weight.

Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 32 hours later
Ok i have one more question. If iam pregnant and in the first weeks i get in stress or have a big fight with my husband and feel very upset about it can this cause miscarriage in the first weeks or cause the egg to not attach in the wall. Because as soon as i get in an argument i feel a slight pain in my lower ubdomen
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Miscarriage XXXXXXX to stress possible

Detailed Answer:

You are right. Stress due to such fights is known to cause pain in abdomen like this and also miscarriage.

Let me know if you need anymore help.
Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist