What causes delay in period after intake of I-pill?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: We had sex from 18th of XXXXXXX to 23rd of XXXXXXX We did not used any protection. I took two I Pill (morning after pill of Mankind Brand) on 20th of XXXXXXX and 23rd of XXXXXXX According to my period cycle i was expecting my periods on 24th of XXXXXXX but i got my periods on 1st July. It was totally normal nothing unusual. But sinse then it has been 15th of August and i have not got my 2nd period since 1st July. What could be the possible reason? What are the possibility that i could be pregnent? Or the pill is just messing up with the cycle. My age is 21 years.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
delayed menses -side effect of ipill.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
The fact that you had a withdrawal bleed on 1st july after intercourse on 18-23rd XXXXXXX after IPILL intake confirms that you are not pregnant , however the present delay by more than 10 days is likely to be due to the known side effect of ipill to delay next 1-2 menses.
So best would be to rule out pregnancy with a urine pregnancy kit and if negative then you may just wait for another week for menses to resume naturally and if still not then can opt for a withdrawal bleed with progesterones.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 5 minutes later
What are the negative effects of this on health. Could this trigger some medical problem for me? I am more worried about my health rather than pregnancy.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
No there are no medical problems which can occur as such once the menses regularise after 2-3 months. Avoid taking ipill , more than 1 in any month if needed, else for protection you should use oc pills or hormonal implants.