What causes delay in menstruation while on Tetriva?

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi doctor,
I am on tetriva-20 pills for acne and my doctor advised me not to get pregnant as taking tetriva will cause sever birth defects. I have not had any intercourse till now as my husband and me are not planning to have baby. However we use to have oral sex. And I am very careful with washing once everything is done. But now my problem is that I have missed my periods for that last month. It should have come on July 14th and now it is august 9th and still I don't see it's happening. Thrice I found blood spotting and nothing more than that. What might be causing this? Is it a sign that I am pregnant some how? I guess my Hymen is not broken till now as I didnt had intercourse.
Looking for your valuable reply.
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Delayed periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
From the history I don't think you are pregnant. When you never had intercourse or fingered with semen ,you will never get pregnant. Do you have any other hormonal problems like thyroid or PCOS etc.
In case of any doubts you can get an ultrasound scan which will rule out pregnancy and any other abnormalities of uterus and ovaries causing delay in periods esply PCOS.
Hope you are convinced. Feel free to ask your doubts with more details. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 12 minutes later
Thank you sir.
And no I didn't have any history of diseases like the one you mentioned. I usually have correct periods and it varies up to to weeksand that too very rarely. This is the first time I am experiencing this kind of delay in my periods.
But why does this spotting occur. That's what where I am tensed now. All those symptoms I have is as if I am pregnant and I am actually freaked out thinking some thing happened while I was cleaning myself.
Thank you sir for your valuable reply.
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Missed periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Minimal spotting can happen during ovulation .But you haven't had your periods this cycle.Hence I suggested a scan.scan will rule out pregnancy and any other abnormalities. Hope my answer helps you
.Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng