• question-icon

What causes delay in menstruation post intake of i-pill?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I am 28 yrs old i had a sex with my fiancee just 2 days before my cycle came n took ipill within 24 hours .on 12th feb i had sex and bleeding starts from the very day after i lost my virginity on 14 feb it was like regular period but now its 17 march n i havnt got the cycle yet plz suggests me
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Delay is due to ipill...

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to hcm,
As you had your menses on 14th after sex on 12th feb, hence pregnancy is ruled out completely due to your sexual episode.
The delay in this cycle is due to ipill itself which you consumed within 24 hrs of sex. This is a known side effect of ipill to cause delay in next periods by 7-10days. So it is suggested that you may wait for a week more to allow your menses to resume.
Also if the menses are not resumed after 7 days post missed periods then you may rule out pregnancy with a urine pregnancy test, just to be sure and then if the menses are still not resumed after 2 weeks post missed menses, then you may opt for a withdrawal bleed with progesterones.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist