What causes delay in menstrual bleeding when diagnosed with chickenpox?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: I and my gf had a intercourse on XXXXXXX 31st and my gf had last mensturation on XXXXXXX 20..but after 5 days of having intercourse my gf got infected by chickenpox on Feb 5th.. After XXXXXXX she didn't achieve her menturation cycle till now.. Does it mean she is pregnant.. Or chickenpox can delay the menstaruration cycle..pls guide me .. We are bit scared..
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please take a pregnancy test.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Chickenpox illness may alter the menstrual cycle.
HOwever, please take a pregnancy test.
It is a simple two minute test, and will reassure you.
All the best.
PLease feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
will the chickenpox illness alter the menstrual cycle more than 2 weeks..if the pregnancy is conformed what should i do..whether the chickenpox will affect the baby inside the womb so that whether we need to abort or what procedure we have carry out inorder to have a safe pregnancy for both baby and gf..
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Yes, viral fever may alter the menstrual cycle by more than two weeks.
If pregnancy is confirmed, you have to decide if you wish to continue or not.
Generally, you would have to abort , because she had chicken pox in very early pregnancy.
If the pregnancy is confirmed, just let me know.
I can guide you regarding further procedure.
First get the test done atleast.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad