What causes delay in menstrual bleeding after protected intercourse?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Women's Health
Question: Dear Doctor,
After a gap of almost 11 months, I am contacting you for your advise again. Since last Feb My period was quite regular , mostly with heavy bleeding / cramp, continued normally for 6 days or so.Cycle average 30-32 days. My last menstrual cycle was started on 30th Nov-1st December 2017.
Just before that, I was having some cyst infection in my back and hence taken antibiotics ("Augmentin1 and another" one for almost 15-20 days ( till 22nd Dec) alongwith anti inflamatory "Enzomac". .I had intercourse with my spouse fully protected (Using condom,no breakage) twice/thrice during 20th till 25th Dec. I am continuing Thyronorm 12.5 once daily.
Till date I have not got the period for this month..I am bit worried. Need your advice please. I am going to be 46 years in next month.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need some more information.

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam,
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history in detail and understand your concerns about your menses.
Have you done your home urine pregnancy test as you missed your menses?
It is very important to rule out pregnancy ( though in your case,almost no chances of pregnancy).
In your case period may be delayed due to your illness and medicines which you have taken.
As you are going to be 46yrs.,period may be distributed due to hormonal imbalance caused by perimenopause( maybe starting of menopause).
Get your repeat TSH if not done recently.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 5 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your reply.
I have done my Urine Preg Test on 7th XXXXXXX Morning (1st Urine) before I received your mail and it came negative.

I had checked my TSH around 2 months back and it was normal (2.586)..Moreover I had recently checked my Blood sugar also it came normal
(Fasting 90 and HBA1c-6.1)...

When Can I get my period??I am bit worried.

Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait and watch for your menses.

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam,
As urine pregnancy test is negative and you are having normal tsh value, your period may get delayed due to hormonal imbalance,maybe it is starting of your perimenopausal stage.
You should wait and watch for one more week otherwise we will go for pelvic ultrasound to see the thickness of endometrium and other causes of delayed menses.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your quick response.

Actually one more problem happened....After doing the Urine Preg. Test which was negative ( Sunday,yesterday)...I was still not getting any periods neither there was any reply on my query, hence I took one i-pill in the morning post preg test on 7th XXXXXXX itself.

It was probably due to my confusion / worry as I was not getting any answer.

Currently in this situation, should I wait for one more week or I need to take any further medicine?

Shall I get a normal period, if yes after how many days? Sorry for bothering you again.

Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can confirm it with blood beta hcg.

Detailed Answer:
You can go for blood beta hcg testing to confirm and rule out pregnancy because urine test is not confirmatory.
If it is negative than we can wait and watch for your menses.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj