question-icon

What causes delay in growth of teeth in infant?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question: I have a 15 month old daugher. She does not have any teeth yet. Most babies of her age have start to get 1-2 teeth. Is she not getting enough calcium? How much milk should she have daily?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (40 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
She needs a dental evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Generally dental eruption starts by 6 months of age. Absence of teeth by 15 months of age indicates some problem and not necessarily the lack of calcium. The cause needs to be evaluated and I suggest that you consult a dentist at the earliest. It could be that the primary teeth have formed but have not erupted. It is also possible that the primary teeth have not formed at all. Treatment will depend on such factors.

A child of this age is supposed to get a combination of semisolids and milk. 16-24 full ounces (480-720 milliliters) a day is a reasonable amount of milk to be given per day.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician