What causes delay in getting pregnant?

Dr. Dattaprasad

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Tue, 1 Apr 2014 in Infertility Problem
Question: I have been TTC for three months now without luck I have been using the ClearBlue Fertility Monitor and additional OPK. Both give a positive ovulation on the same day which is god. I have sex about 4 times during my fertile window. I know it is still early but I am nervous that I have not gotten pregnant yet. My OBGYN says it normally takes couples 3-4 months but could take up to a year. My partner has normal sperm count and I have regular 29-30 day cycles. Could I be doing something wrong? Why does it not happen if intercourse is timed perfectly? Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your doctor is right. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to HCM. With everything being normal, chance of conception in 6 months is around 70% & in one year its 85-90%. Whatever your doctor said is right. Even with everything normal (Normal semen, regular ovulation & patent tubes), chance of conception in each cycle is not more than 30%. As you have just tried for three months & you are young, you can safely wait till 12 months without any worry. One advise for maximizing chance of conception is not to restrict intercourse to fertile period. You can try it for 2-3 times a week irrespective of fertile period & either daily/alternate days during fertile period. Anxiety for conception during fertile period itself can reduce fertility (& hence chance of conception). So try to keep anxiety away if possible. Regarding why pregnancy does not happen if intercourse is timed perfectly: Its because even with perfect timing not every time sperm will fertilize egg. Even if fertilization occurs, around 50% of embryos formed formed are genetically abnormal & naturally disintegrate & in that case don't give pregnancy (Its natural mechanism to exclude genetically defective embryos from growing & giving abnormal child). Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.