What causes dehydration, fatigue and painful urination?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I definitely dehydrated the other day - photographing 30 teens doing hip hop dancing in a warm room - and did not drink enough water. Later that day I was very tired - I've been sleeping half the day - and had painful urination. From time to time, the urine has been dark, bad smelling, and is painful. I also need to urinate about once an hour.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
sounds like a urinary tract infection

Detailed Answer:

I did not quite understand what you meant by "dark" when you referred to your urine. Perhaps cloudy? Dark yellow? If the urine is not yellow (even dark yellow) then it's not normal and requires investigation.

Frequent urination (usually with little urine) and painful urination are usually caused by lower urinary tract infections. A urinalysis will provide useful clues.

Such infections are not very common in men. They're more common to patients with diabetes. So checking your blood glucose is another consideration. If the urinalysis confirms the infection then you should receive antibiotics (the choice of antibiotic depends on various factors) and do an ultrasound scan of the urinary tract to detect potential disorders that predispose to infections.

The most commonly used antibiotics for lower urinary tract infections are quinolones, broad spectrum penicillis (like amoxicillin-clavulanate) and the combination of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. Simpler choices include nitrofurantoin and fosfomycin. Your doctor should determine the best choice for you by taking into account your medical history, recent antibiotic exposure, risk for resistant pathogens, etc.

I hope it helps!
Kind regards!