What causes dehydration and fainting?

Question
My daughter was dehydrated fainted and wet her pants .. Does this mean she had a seizure? She is 16 and was in the sun all day the day before. Did not eat or drink much. She woke up at 6:00 am through up and went back to bed .. Woke up later went for a glass of water and fainted..
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More likely to be syncope

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms

If the attack occurred while she was in standing position, then it's likely to be syncope attack. Syncope usually occurs due to following
1. Sudden decrease in venous return to heart due to positional variation
2. Excessive heat and associated dehydration

If the attack occurred while she was still in bed, it would favor a seizure attack. From the description given by you and a single isolated episode it's difficult to say what exactly it could be.
Maintain her hydration and nutrition. If the attack recurs then it is advisable to see your physician at earliest.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
MBBS, MD

Follow-up: What causes dehydration and fainting? 17 minutes later
She had just sat down in a chair and leaned into her friend ... They called 911 and they said to lie her on her side she got on her side on her own .. Mother of friend said she my daughters body was rigid and then she wet herself. Emergency room Dr said it was dehydration and her white blood count was a little high ( fighting a little virus) my daughter told the doctor she never lost consciousness she heard everything.. She is traveling with friend's family.

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is syncope attack

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings

From the description given it is likely to be syncope attack. Following are the points suggesting the possibility

1. No complete loss of consciousness
2. Associated risk factors like dehydration
3. Postural change associated symptoms

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak