What causes degenerative disc disease?

Dr. Behar Greca

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi! I have degenerative disk disease amongst many other problems through out my entire spine, including severe stenosis in the cervical area. That is due to a major car accident and I cannot find a Dr. to give me a diagnosis, Is the disk disease hereditary? I was adopted and am 51 yrs.my lower back I hurt at work. In October of last year, I was in a major car accident and again in April of this year. There are days I can barely move, my neck grinds when I move it. I was in a soft collar, but am trying to keep strength in my neck. I try and be active, unfortunately, I pay for it! I am on pain med, Percocet 10 mg./ morphine 15mg/ER, trazadone at night 2-50mg. and Lexapro 20 mg

Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
NSAIDs and chiropractic procedures can help...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting!

I have gone through your query and I understand your concerns.

All of your symptoms are caused by spinal stenosis that is due to the fact that you had a car accident.
As for Degenerative disc disease I can say that it is caused by injuries or trauma.

To treat your condition you should take non steroidal anti inflammatory medicines. Chiropractic procedures can also help.
If this treatment won't relieve your symptoms, you should contact your neurosurgeon to discuss about a spinal surgical procedure, which I think is necessary.

Ask me for anything unclear.

All the best.
Dr. Behar.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Behar Greca 13 hours later
Thank you for your response. Before my accident, I was seeing a chiropractor, who had me on disk decompression for my lower back. It was the only thing that gave me some relief in that area. Unfortunately, that is a work comp case, and they will not allow me any more treatment. The Emergency Dr. was serious when he told me a: I could become paralized or B: I could possibly die due to neck injury. Common sense tells me to not go back to chiropractic medicine. During crash, a vehicle turned left in front of us and stopped! We hit the back axle mainly on passenger side where I was. At point of impact, I was looking to the left at my boyfriend and saw his head hit the steering wheel. I have numbness on the right side of my face, both arms and hands. I have trouble concentrating, remembering, and finding words. No MRI or ct scan was done on my head although, chiropractor suggested that to be done. The numbness and memory is getting worse. I live in California, USA and have state medical insurance at this time. Very difficult if possible to be seen by a specialist. I'm not getting better and do not know where to turn to for help. I have all reports of all tests done. What do I do? Thank you for caring
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload the reports of all tests done...

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing back.

There are different treatments for your condition, but to decide for the right one I need the reports of all tests done.
Please upload the reports, so I can give you a more detailed and exact answer.

Dr. Behar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari