What causes deep cough that sometimes produces thick gray yellow sputum?
I have a deep cough that sometimes produces thick yellow grayish sputum. I have exhalation stridor at night when I'm sleeping and I get loose sputum that rattles when I breath and I cough up the sputum and the rattling goes away. My x-ray showed bilateral apical pleural parenchymal thickening. This cough and stridor does not seem normal to me. My primary care provider is a PA and he thinks the cough is caused by sinus drainage into my chest, however, I do not have sinus congestion. What should be my next step?
Get done PFT and consult pulmonologist.
Thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your situation and problem.
By your history and description, in my opinion, you are having bronchitis.
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done
1. Clinical examination of respiratory system
2. PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
PFT is needed for the diagnosis of bronchitis.
It will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment of bronchitis is based on severity only.
You may need inhaled bronchodilators and antihistamine drugs.
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done PFT.
Please let me know
1. Are you smoker?
2. Did you have tuberculosis in past?
3. Since how many days, you are having these symptoms?
4. Do you have shortness of breath?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Thick yellow sputum tastes bad
- Symptoms of yellow sputum
- Dark yellow sputum
- Productive cough yellow sputum
- Diagnosis of yellow sputum
- Fever swollen nodes cough yellow sputum
- Treatment and cure for yellow sputum
- Cough yellow sputum formation on levofloxacin side affects
- Coughing up yellow sputum tatse like copper
- Coughing yellow sputum