What causes deep abnormal thoughts after smoking cannibs?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Drug Abuse
Question: Hello doctor. About a year ago i started smoking pot everyday and tripped on LSD occasionally. by occasionally i mean 2 tabs every month maybe. the first 5 months i didn't have any problems other than decrease in motivation. but lately, my whole thoughts are different and it's scaring me. for example, at the beginning, i started analyzing everything to the extreme. I started to have deep thoughts about presence of god or the universe... not only regular deep thoughts, but also questioning if life is only a dream? and i became extremely critical about everything and started thinking that whatever i learned until now is just a lie cause people are delusional. before i had more hope because i thought god always hears me but now i sometimes think that humans are just like animals and worth nothing. most of my thoughts have nothing to do with me being successful in life or me thinking about my family or my school... moreover, this is the part which scares me so much. I started to guess if im crazy or not which is terrifying. i never ever had these kind of thoughts before. i was great in school, in work and in everything. but now, everything is changed and i think im going to be crazy after all. I know that marijuana is amplifying my negative thoughts because i mostly think deep thoughts when im high on weed, but on the other side i dont want to quit weed, because I have a lot of anxiety and i dont want to be addicted to anti anxiety medications and im only 21! so my question is did using of lsd and marijuana gave me mental illness that i dont know about? and what is your TRUE advice? should i quit marijuana and ask for doctor's prescription? or marijuana is safer than prescriptions? P.S: i smoke cigarettes everyday for the past 4 years. thank you
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Medicines are the answer

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

The thoughts that you are developing is due to cannabis. Infact taking cannabis can precipitate many different kinds of psychiatric illnesses in cluding schizophrenia. It is in no way safe.
On the other hand there are plenty of safe medicines available for anxiety and many of them are non addicting. Take the example of paroxetine. Its a wonderful drug for anxiety without addiction potential.
Medicines are clearly the answer to your question without any doubt.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad