• question-icon

What causes decreased urine output?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am 61, female. Usually get up at least once to urinate at night. Last night I did not, and still this morning, I have not. Shouod I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
only if have the urge and find it difficult to get the urine out

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Your fluid output is dependent on the fluid intake and any losses of fluid (through sweating, fever in ill persons, vomiting, diarrhea, coughing etc)

Vomiting, fever (via the skin), diarrhea, coughing all cause a loss of fluid

If the ambient temperature is high or a person is not using enough fluid to compensate for the fluid loss via the skin from sweating then the body will try to hold onto fluids so there would be decreased output in urine.

Only if you are feeling the urge to urinate or your bladder feels full but you cannot get out the urine, would there possibly be a problem.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James