What causes decreased platelet counts while treating gout?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I've been on 300mgs of Allapurinol (sp) for gout. I have ITP with a platelet count that runs between 70 and 85k normally. The last two blood checks in Dec. and yesterday were in the 40 range. I'm very concerned that the platelets are getting too low but at the same time my gout is severe and needs to be treated long term.
Any suggestions as to how I should proceed?
Thank-you,
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may need steroid shot and hematologist review

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history of ITP and recent events you have shared, it seems that your current symptoms are caused by excessive break down of platelets leading to over production of uric acid and up to such higher therapeutic levels symptoms are not being controlled.

Both break down of platelets and such symptoms with increased uric acid levels need to be closely evaluated by a hematologist as there may be need to give you an injectable steroid pulse like with Solumedrol as well as dietary modifications avoiding pulses, red meat and other triggering factor of increased uric acid.

Also get the levels of thyroid and serum cortisol checked along with blood sugars levels as autoimmune conditions can coexist leading to such symptoms.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee