What causes decreased eyesight in a 5 year old?
My daughter is 5 years old and in her general health check-up she failed her priliminary eye test where she couldn't read few letters from last few lines. We were referred to a eye specialist and here are his findings
OD - Sphere +1.5, Cylinder : -4.0, Axis: 180
OS - Sphere +1.00, Cylinder : -2.5, Axis : 173
Some of the sympotoms were - she was squinting sometimes and was complaining the light is very bright on a very bright XXXXXXX day. Though not too much.
He has suggested her to use glasses with immediate effect.
I would like to know:
1. Is this eye issue by birth or because of viewing TV and phones
2. Can it be cured or made better using some eye exercise, diet control etc
3. Is it going to be life long
4. What factors will make it worse in coming years
5. Is lasik recommended to get over this power
6. How come we couldn't make out this high power in all these years. She can very well read write in school. Never compalined aboout head aches or any other thing. She can see aeroplnes moving in sky, or stars. Should we go for second opinion ?
Thanks for sharing your genuine concerns with us.
I will stay from the beginning. This power of glasses is due to the shape of the eye ball.The spherical power shows all around large or small eye ball and cylindrical power showing one area where it not totally round,the exact direction shown by axis.
So this is genitic.Children inherit all these qualities from parents with different combinations.. Your child is only 5and I will consider this to be lucky as the problem is cought up so early otherwise effects of not using glasses result in child not gaining full vision and a condition known as amblyopia.
Since the issue is genitic but heathy way of living always helps.In my practice I always insist upon the parents to take proper care of diet and electronic gadgets are to be controlled.
There will be changes in power till the child is 18.As that is the stage till when growth continues..What our status of lasik surgery is at the moment,would have improved tremendously in next 15 years.These corrective measures are to be taken when the child is 20+and the power has stabilized for 2 years.
Why you were not able to make it out is because by squeezing the the child can overcome the defect momentarily.
Since this is a structural anomaly , it undergoes some growth related changes but more or less remains.
It is never a bad idea to have a second opinion,but I have seen that no two powers given are the same.
please do get back to me in case of any further questions in this regard.
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.
I would like to know the real condition of her eyes. Are they really in a bad state ? What to I make out from the prescription ? Is it normal to have this prescription at her age or she is on the lower side.
Another thing you mentioned is child not gaining full vision. Is it something like a child gains vision with years passing by ?
Thanks for getting back to me.
There is really bad situation as you mentioned, it is just that there is a power for glasses which is to be used correctly. These glasses will need periodic, yearly checkup and change.
By "not getting full body" I meant a condition called amblyopia. You can Google for it's details. This occurs if correct glasses are not worn before approx.8years of age.
I hope all your questions have been answered.Get her glasses and take care.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes nose bleed at 70 years old
- What causes 5 year old to have boil
- What causes smelly armpits of a seven year old
- What cause blood in urine in a 5 year old
- What causes shadows in eyesight
- What causes toothache in a four year old child
- What causes hdl to decrease
- What causes low hemoglobin 90 year old
- What causes dark lips in 3 year old
- What causes a 26 year old to have a stroke