What causes decreased appetite,bloating and gas while on Teva Topiramate?

Dr. Danish Sheikh

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello!
I am taking Teva-Topiramate 25 mg for migrains. But latlely I have been having decreased appetite, bloating and lots of gaz.
Is this caused by the medication or is it a stomache problem?
Answered by Dr. Danish Sheikh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are unlikely due to medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I have gone through your query; I will guide you in best possible way.
Topiramate is anti epileptic drug; many times used in prophylactic treatment of migraine or to treat it. It is usually started in low dose and gradually increased.
See what your experiencing bloating, gases, and abdominal discomfort is potential side effects of most medicines. If loss of appetite persists, it needs to be evaluated from your treating doctor.
In addition, you are using very low dose of topiramate, so I think it is unlikely to be related to your medication.
Some other important side effects of it are easy fatigability, vision disturbances, and irritability and mood changes. If you anytime experience these symptoms, please get them evaluated from your treating doctor.

Eat many vegetables, drink plenty of water, and avoid junk food.

Syrup cremaffin once before going to bed will take care of your symptoms; your treating doctor will know its dose. It will help you clear your abdominal problems.
Wish you good health.
Hope this information helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Danish Sheikh 47 minutes later
I am 21. Can it be a stomach ulcer?
Answered by Dr. Danish Sheikh 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Stomach ulcer is rare possibility,
It is always associated with sharp abdominal pains,
Usually after having food,
have plenty of water,and fresh vegetables,
avoid greasy oily junk food it will help you.
Wish you a good health.