question-icon

What causes darkness below my fingernails?

Posted on Thu, 27 Mar 2014
Question: What causes the darkness below my fingernails? How can i treat my fingers so i dont get these dark skin areas?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer: Addisonian hyperpigmentation Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic I m Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your concern and I have understood it. I would keep a possibility of Addisonian hyperpigmentation. In Addisonian hyperpigmentation brown-black discoloration is noted at various body sites: Involvement of face, oral mucosa, dorsal hands and feet with periungual accentuation is characteristic. Nail discoloration is also noted. Vit B12 deficiency has been reported as one of the causes of addisonian hyperpigmentation, in otherwise healthy individuals. Vegetarians are at a higher risk for developing this deficiency because animal products are the main sources of vitamin B12. The hyperpigmentation is reversible with replacement of vitamin B12 levels. I would advice that you see your local care practitioner and get a prescription for a Vit B12 supplement. I hope this answers your query regards
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist