question-icon

What causes dark urine?

Posted on Mon, 25 Jul 2016
Question: hi can you tell me why urine is darker at times? is it a dietary thing?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
dehydration is the most common cause

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

This can be related to diet, inadequate fluid intake or excess loss, some medical conditions or side effect of medications.

Inadequate fluid intake or excess loss (dehydration) is one of the most common causes.

In terms of diet foods with dark dyes, aloe, fava beans can cause the change.

Medical conditions such as liver disease, a type of anemia, urinary tract infections, blood in the urine, a very rare condition called porphyrias.
If you feel well and there are no additional symptoms, it is unlikely due any medical conditions

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James