What causes dark stools after taking Pepto?
History: 5 year old son had stomach virus 48 hours before both my spouse and I came down with it. It is not suspected to be anything along the lines of c-diff or h. pylori, etc. Since the age of 19, I have had bouts of gastrointestinal issues that cause a burning sensation in a localized area of my stomach, but after 2 upper endoscopies, no conclusion was made as to the cause. This current pain is very much like the previous, however, the nausea and very, very dark/almost black stools do not typically accompany it. Is Carafate a reasonable medication to use regardless of the cause? I am not taking any other medication at this time.
It will take approximately 5 days. Black stools is worrisome.
Hello Mrs XXXXXXX
Thank you for the query, I have gone through your questions carefully and understand your concern.
The most important symptom in your case is the black stools, this indicates upper gastrointestinal bleeding. (Most likely due to an ulcer in the stomach or erosions in the gastric wall mucosa).
The best line of management is PPIs (Proton pump inhibitors) like Pantoprazole/rebeprazole intravenous injections along with oral antacids and gsatroprotective eagents such as sucralfate (carafate).
The ulcer or mucosal erosion will take at least 5 days to heal and you do need to consult your doctor to assess the severity of the gastric bleeding.
By Pepto, if you are referring to Bismuth subsalicylate, I would like to inform you that it is also used to treat acid peptic disease but the exact mechanism of action is not well understood.
But Pepto and Carafate are not sufficient in treating an active gastric ulcer or erosion, you will need stronger anti secretory medicines like pantoprazole/rabiprazole.
Please consult your doctor urgently and get yourself evaluated. The risk of not consulting the doctor is perforation of the ulcer and that can turn out be nasty.
I hope this answers your query, please feel free to write back to me if you need further clarifications.
Wishing you speedy recovery.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Dark green stool after drinking pepto bismol
- What could be causing the dark stool
- What causes black stool after taking naporxen
- Streaked stool after taking pepto bismol
- What causes stool to be dark gray
- Black tarry stools after taking pepto
- What causes dark brown stool
- What causes dark stool warfarin
- Can pepto bismal cause black tar stools
- Will pepto bismol cause a red stool
- Feeling dizzy, loss of balance, headaches. Not able to say right words....
- Elevated AST and MPV. No fever, blood disorders or anaemia. Any reason?
- Had nasal injury and bleeded. Have asymmetrical nose and problem in...
- Suffering from extreme dry mouth. Could I ask a doctor?
- Feeling sleepy after taking lisinopril. Can I stop the medication?
- Had a seizure and sustained additional fractures on back. Suffered...
- Baby has coffee stain on back. Has jaundice. What could this be?
- Have periodic involuntary eye movements. Feeling like things in room are...
- Can I take prednisone for the flareups of emphysema?
- Abdomen on left side bulges when I start to get erection. It is painful...