• question-icon

What causes dark stool?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: stool dark bloting no blood no pains or swelling in stomach or legs i am losing weight.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Earlier appointment is prudent advice

Detailed Answer:

I would not ask any one over 80 yrs to wait for something serious if they first notice a black colored stool. Even though the stool is back to normal color I would ask for an early appointment.
Dark stool / change in color of stool may not always be serious but I suspect blood slowly oozing into the gut or bilirubin is not functioning what it supposed to do or there is hurrying gut. If these are cleared off my your doctor it would set off your anxious mind.

Hope you understand what I am trying to explain you. Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam