What causes dark stool while on Aspirin?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 7 Nov 2016 in Peptic Ulcer
Question: I an currently on a low dose aspirin regimen. My stool turned very dark. I fear the drug may caused bleeding in my stomach. I have stopped taking aspirin as of yesterday. Will my condition start to improve ?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, if related to medication, stopping would help

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

As you stated, aspirin and similar medications can cause bleeding of the stomach which would cause dark stool.
The use of any supplements with iron or pepto bismol can also cause dark stool.

If you are using either of these, should also be stopped.

If it is related to a bleed from the aspirin, discontinuation would help the stomach to heal.
The use of reflux medications to prevent the acid in the stomach from causing further damage would also be helpful eg prilosec, prevacid, nexium

It would be best, if there is a bleed however, to see your doctor for an assessment because he or she may also want to do your complete blood count to make sure that it is normal.

Would also need to document your symptoms and possibly consult a gastroenterologist.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions