• question-icon

What causes dark spots on the knees?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, I have dark spots on my knees that look like either bruises or dirty knees. They're not bruises since I've had it for several years. Sometimes its not as dark as others. Of course when its shorts season, its very noticeable. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please provide some more information and upload a photo

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your question.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

I could give you an idea what it can be but I would like to see a photo so I can advice accurately. Please kindly upload a photo, at the reports section of this page.

Also, it would be be helpful if you give me some information about your health: If you have any chronic problem? If you are overweight? If you have had any skin problems before? - anything that you may think it is relevant, may be helpful.

Looking forward to your follow up question.

Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 18 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like acanthosis nigricans.

Detailed Answer:

I reviewed your photos carefully.
It looks very much like Acanthosis nigricans, which is a benign condition, often asymptomatic but with cosmetic concerns like in your case.

The reason why I asked if you had obesity or any chronic problem, is because it is often cause of obesity, diabetes or insulin resistency. By treating these problems, the acanthosis will clear by itself.

If you are attempting to improve the appearance of lesions through excessive scrubbing of the affected skin during bathing , I would not encourage it, since it may result in lichenification (thickening of the skin) and worsening in hyperpigmentation.

If after ruling out or treating the conditions I mentioned above, the reversal of the acanthosis nigricans is impossible, then topical therapies that normalize epidermal proliferation, such as topical retinoids and topical vitamin D analogs can be used. In this case, you may need to see a dermatologist who can prescribe one of those.

I hope this is helpful and your question has been answered.

Kind regards,
Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Klarida Papaqako