What causes dark spots on the heart in a chemical stress test?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Recently I had a chemical stress test. They found two dark spots on my heart. Twelve years ago I had a heart attack. WHy are these spots showing up now and not before? Is there anything that can be done?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that those"spots" or perfusion defects, may be a sign of coronary artery lesions (when they are normal at rest, but appear as reversible perfusional defects during stress), or are a marker of the previous heart attack (when those spots appear persistently at rest and when performing stress).

If those spots correspond with the location of the previous heart attack and are persistent, then they are just a marker of the previous infarction.

If the pattern is different, then further medical tests (like coronary angio CT, coronary angiography) are necessary to exactly define the nature and location of the lesions.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri