What causes dark scaly patches on ankles?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Sat, 6 Sep 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have dark scaly patches on my ankles for about 10 years not, they extend a quater way up my leg, now i notice those same patches on my thigh after taking my bath and not applying any cream. what could this be and how can i treat it.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eczema/ dermatitis is suspected.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

The dry scaly patch on the ankle appears to be due to eczema/ dermatitis.
This skin disorder has a chronic course and can extent to surrounding structures.
A consultation with a dermatologist is required for prescription of medications to control the spread of the lesion.

Thank and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 31 minutes later
i started researching online about 2 years ago, i came across stasis dermatitis with hemosiderin staining, something to do with poor valves and edema.

when i press the lower part of my ankle and release, there is a small depression that disappears in roughly 30 sec, could there be any relation to this.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
General physical examination needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,
Disorder of cardiovascular system can lead to stasis of blood in the lower extremities and thus cause dark discoloration.
Pressure on the ankles causing depression suggests edema.
Edema occurs due to accumulation of tissue fluid and is associated with cardiovascular disease.
A complete general physical examination needs to be done to look for any disorder of cardiovascular system.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 6 minutes later
do you mean a biopsy, also i asked, they say we don't have vein doctors in nigeria.
what other options do i have.

my younger sister has this also, and my mum says dad once had it, could this be genetic.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, the lesion can be genetic.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,
You can consult a surgeon for the problem.
Yes, the lesion can be genetic and a family history of similar lesions is quite suggestive of genetic transmission.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
ok, thank you Dr Shailja, i am searching for a place to do physical examination and possibly meeting a vascular doctor (scarce here) for further checkup.
thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks and take care.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal