What causes dark hairy looking substance in bowel movements?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi, my 6 week old grandson suddenly developed this dark hairy looking substance in his bowel movements, 2 of them. He did have 1 that was a little greenish looking a couple days before them. He seems to just fine but this concerns me. Paula
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possibly a mucous string

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
It is normal for babies to pass mucous strings in stools which can have a greeenish hairy appearance.
Do not worry.
Usually no treatment is required.
However if the problem persists get a stool routine test to look for evidence of blood or infection.
Wishing him good recovery

Dr Arun