What causes dark greenish stool followed by reddish stool?
I have been eating a lot of salads and had three roasted beets in the past few days. This morning I had a large bowel movement which half of it was dark dark sort of green ish colour and the other half was red-maroon-ish. I've had a few small bowel movements since then and they were brown-reddish. Less red and more brown each time. I'm fairly healthy and in my early 20s. Should I be seeing a doctor?
Thank you for the query.
Reddish stool always causes some discomfort as it might contain a blood. If the blood is mixed with the stool, the problem should not be left alone. It may indicate some bleeding from hemorrhoids (most common reason), bacterial infection or even inflammatory bowels disease. The last one is more possible if you have also had some weight loss, bloating, abdominal pain.
Salads intake is rather not the reason of reddish stool.
So I suggest you to consult your doctor (this is not an urgent issue). Stool test should be done to see if there is any blood out there.
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Dark green stool is fine. Bleeding from upper gastrointestinal tract (stomach mostly) give black like a tar stool. Not greenish. Its as black as its possible. And it smells kind specific (like an iron). So this is not the case for sure.
If your stool was more maroon than reddish, please try to avoid beets for some time and see if this will help.
Green stool can be made yellow if you put some intestinal bacteria in your diet. So please try also probiotic intake and see if all this together will help. If not, stool test is necessary.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Nausea and hunger after eating, waking up at night hungry, urge to...
- Pain inside anus during bowel movement. Is Xyloproct or preparation H...
- Bad odor in belly button, red substance inside, oozing pus
- Pain in front of arm and at wrist under thumb, swelling and throbbing....
- Chest tightness when walking, upper back discomfort, heartburn, no...
- Lump in chest, painful, have pain in ribs and lower back
- Done hernia repair in belly button, have cramp on right side,...
- Frostbite wound on chest from blister freezer. Itching and peeling off....
- Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, blood in urine. What do I do?
- Is triple action viriliy purchase thru new vitality safe?