What causes dark green stool while on Enfamil?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 5.5 month old boy was advised by Paed to upgrade enfamil stage 2 from stage 1.Since then poop/stool become more solid dark green.

Is it due to change in formula or some other reason.

Please advice me whether its normal or a matter of concern?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Yes, the change in color of stool is due to change in diet (change from Enfamil Stage 1 to Stage 2). However, that is not a cause for concern. It is also normal to pass green stool or a combination of yellow stool. The green color occurs due to rapid transit through large intestine where the bile pigments do not get adequate time to convert to the yellow color of stool.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 13 minutes later
Stool become more solid and dark green.Since it is due to change in diet can i give him gripe water or rantac syrup?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gripe water could be given

Detailed Answer:
You can give gripe water although I doubt if it would help. No need to give Rantac Syr. Make sure that fluid intake is adequate and urine is adequate.