What causes dark green colored stools and gas?

Excellent

Question
I have always felt like I need to poop even right after i have pooped since saturday, my grandma died of colon cancer so i am worried about that, i have also been really gassy, but the gas doesn't relieve the need to poop. It has also been difficult to poop since saturday and when i am able to get something out it is stringy poop. My poop has also been a dark green color for about 5-6 weeks. The green poop could be caused by a respiratory/allergy issue that i just recieved a steroid shot for and Cefdinir 300mg capsules. Do respiratory issues cause green poop? And what is going on with my bowels? I know i'm young to be scared of colon cancer, but that doesn't mean that its impossible.
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry, does not sound like cancer.

Detailed Answer:

First of all let me assure you that your symptoms do not sound like cancer.

Since you have developed these symptoms recently, I suspect you are suffering from an intestinal infection, particularly because you have received antibiotics and steroids for respiratory infection/allergy. Antibiotics with steroids can cause secondary infections particularly in intestines and this is what is going on with you I suppose.

Green poop is a clear indication of intestinal infection, and all your symptoms can be attributed to that.

My suggestion for you is to go back to your PCP and get yourself examined completely and ask for stool examination, stool culture to isolate the bacteria causing the infection. You should also get a routine blood test done like CBC. Once you get the tests done, appropriate antibiotics (which do not cause similar side effects) can be prescribed by your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.

Follow-up: What causes dark green colored stools and gas? 30 minutes later
Thanky you for the response, but i dont really think that my intestinal issues can be attributed to the antibiotics, i just started the antibiotics today and my wierd gassy and constipated feeling has gone on since saturday, also the green poop has been happening for about a month and a half which is the same length as my respiratory infection. Are you sure that the green stool could not be attributed to mucus drainage from my chest or sinus congestion? Also, i'm glad to here that it doesnt sound like cancer, and are you sure that my intestinal issues cannot be attributed to just like simple diet. The night/day before this started I had eaten fast food fried chicken and then like 6-7 beers, then the next day i had a fast food burger and fries. Then when i went home to poop is when i started feeling the symptoms?

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Makes things clear now, infection to be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Thank you for writing back to me with these details. Now I understand what is going on.

You have two issues, that is green stools since about a month and feeling gassy and abdominal discomfort since a few days.

Abdominal discomfort/feeling gassy, as you have detailed started recently and as you have noted, have an association with fast foods and alcohol consumption, and yes, both alcohol and fast foods/fried chicken etc., can indeed cause such symptoms. This symptom of yours seems to have been made worse by green stools which is going on from about a month.

To me it appears as a low grade intestinal infection secondary to antibiotics and steroid therapy for respiratory infection... this low grade infection has predisposed you to develop gassy and bloated feeling after consumption of fast food and alcohol.

My suggestion still is to go for stool examination, however, I would like to add one thing, you will most certainly benefit from taking PPIs such as omeprazole 20 mg twice a day for 10 days.

Please do follow my advice as given in the earlier response and add omeprazole 20 mg twice a day, before meals to that.

I hope this clears your doubts.

Follow-up: What causes dark green colored stools and gas? 15 minutes later
Thank you for further response. When i spoke to my doctor about my respiratory infection and recieved my antibiotics i mentioned to him the i was having green stool. He said that if that has not cleared up after my round of antibiotics to talk to him about the green stool. Do you think that i should wait to see if it was related to my respiratory infection or should i go back and insist on a stool test? And is there an over the counter omeprazole that i can go buy?

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can go back to your doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

You should go back to your doctor and get a stool test done.

Prilosec 20 mg is omeprazole available OTC.

Hope this helps, please feel free to write back if you need further clarifications or else please close the thread and evaluate the answers.