• question-icon

What causes dark discoloration of the face?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My son face is fairer than body.his body became darker than face from the month of 9, and now he is 20 months old but there is no change why?

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
All the melanocytes do not express themselves at birth.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me tell you that our body colour is due to a pigment called melanin which is produced by a type of skin cells known as melanocytes. The number of melanocytes in our skin determines the darkness it will attain. Lighter skin areas are due to too little melanin or underactive melanocytes. Darker areas of skin occurs when you have more melanin or overactive melanocytes. All the melanocytes do not develop at birth and the distribution may vary as well. As all the melanocytes did not develop at birth the skin of the body looked lighter initially. However, the subsequent colour is more likely to be permanent than to go away. It is apparent that more number of melanocytes originated and developed in the skin of his body. However, there is no way to conclude whether this is the final skin colour or whether it is likely to darken slightly more. But it is unlikely to lighten further.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 11 minutes later
Thanks for ur valuable answer.
But I have a doubt.....

So can I see the change in his body color in future or face will also become darker.
I am asking this question because of his father was darker in color and I am fair.. So what would be happen in future.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You cannot change the body colour

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Skin lightening is a myth and do not fall for it. So, do not consider that you can change his body colour. It is hard to comment whether his face will become darker or whether it will remain the same.

The genetics of his colour is quite apparent. You have to wait and watch to observe the results.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha