• question-icon

What causes dark discoloration in the pubic region?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dear Dr.

The skin around my pubic area is dark although I'm white. I think this is due to obesity. What can I do to brighten up my skin?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for Acanthosis Nigricans

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have viewed the image.

I can see patches of dark, velvetty textured skin. This seems acanthosis nigricans and arises due to insulin resistance which in turn is due to obesity. Insulin resistance leads to increases levels of Insulin like growth factors (IGF -1) which in turn leads to epidermal changes of acanthosis nigricans.

Apart from measures for weight reduction you may in addition take medication for improving insulin resistance and consequently lower levels of IGF-1. Metformin lowers insulin resistance. I suggest a dose of 750mg once daily. It is a prescription medication.

Besides this you may also use Xerina cream for topical application (contains glycolic acid and cetylated fatty esters).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist