What causes dark coloured semen and soreness in pelvic area?
likely prostate infection and it should be ruled out by tests.
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for the question.
Common cause of such dark color in semen is altered blood in the semen. Altered blood can appear brown or darker.Blood in the semen is known as hemato-spermia.
Prostate infection and disorders is the most common cause of blood in the semen as you have also pain over lower abdomen or pelvic area,so I will keep this possibility first.
However,there are plenty of other uncommon causes (like infections, anatomical abnormalities, stones, or inflammation in many sites throughout the genitourinary system or rarely tumors) which also need to be ruled out by proper clinical examination with some relevant tests.
The first investigation which can be helpful is urine analysis.
Abdominal ultrasound and MRI scan (if needed) would also give clue.
Usually blood in the semen is benign in nature and resolves on its own so you may wait for 1 or 2 days if the pain is NOT so troublesome.
If it persists or pain is unbearable, I think you should consider a consultation with doctor (preferably urologist) who can suggest investigations after clinical examination to find out the underlying cause.
Further treatment can be proposed according to the cause.
Hope this answers your query.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sore throat on swallowing semen what is the cause
- What causes blood in semen
- What could be the cause of dark semen
- What causes tenderness at the pelvic bone
- What is the cause for pain in pelvic bone
- What could cause semen to turn brown in colour
- What causes semen to be orange
- What causes dark color semen after ejaculation
- What causes red colored semen
- What causes thick semen viscosity