Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes dark colored urine?

Question
For about a week my urine has turned a dark yellow regardless of how much fluid I consume. When I pass urine, it irritates the external tissues in the area where I sit: anal tissue and external tissue near the vajina.
I have passed normal, light-colored urine in the my recent past. I am currently being given Keflex for an
outbreak of folliculitis. Can these two conditions be related?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Correlated and needs management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Micturition difficulties with dark color urine with folliculitis are correlated likely. Inflammation and infection of nearby region is most likely to involve urinary tract too. I suggest you get a urine routine exam and liver and renal functions. Keflex may cause liver functions to derange and that may cause the color of urine a bit yellower.
They are correlated. Topical hypoallergenic gels for the irritation, UTI diet like cranberry juices and fluids and garlic intake is advised.
Management of folliculitis would depend on the type of folliculitis
1-Pseudomonas folliculitis is usually self-limited and does not require treatment; however, if the patient is immunocompromised or the lesions are persistent, oral ciprofloxacin may be given.
2-Eosinophilic pustular folliculitis (Ofuji disease) does not respond to systemic antibiotics. First line treatment is indomethacin (50 mg/day). Other therapies include UVB phototherapy, minocycline, or dapsone.[18]
3-Pityrosporum folliculitis initially responds to topical antifungals such as ketoconazole cream or shampoo but is often associated with relapses. For relapses, systemic antifungals should be tried.
4-Herpetic folliculitis responds to valacyclovir, famciclovir, or acyclovir.
Papulopustular eruption associated with EGF-R inhibitors is self-limited and resolves with cessation of chemotherapy. In patients requiring treatment, topical antibiotics, topical corticosteroids or oral antibiotics, particularly tetracyclines, can be administered.
Association with folliculitis is likely and can not be ruled out. Get managed and seek a gynecologist for further management. Good groin and coital hygiene and keeping the area hair free will spare the troubles in future.
I hope it helps.Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please,
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Khan