What causes dark brown stool along with abdominal pain?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Oct 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I' ve started having numerous dark brown stools about 2 mos ago with occasional stomach pain - know definite one spot or intensity. I'm constantly having to change. I probably have go I/4 cup to 3/4 cup four or more times daily. Taking anti-diarrhea pills help but I have to take them everytime. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
chronic enteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Yes most likely its gastroenteritis,usually gastroenteritis is by viral infection(Nova virus) and is self limiting,Takes five to sevendays,But as you mentioned its already more then a weak so most likely you are having either bacterial or protozoal infection or a mixed infection.
I would suggest you to go for few tests
Ultra sound abdomen
Stool test under microscope
Complete blood count
Total and differential leucocyte count.

If stool test is positive for bacterial or protozoal infection.Start taking Zithromax(Azithromycin 500 mg once daily) and secnidazole 1 gram daily for 5 days.
Along with it take Fybrogel husk,It will increase the bulk of your stools.
Tab imodium 4mg stat folowed by 2 mg twice daily can be added to contriol frequency of motions
Eat light and easily digestible food.
Drink plenty of water and electrolytes to maintain rehydration.
Monitor puls and blood pressure twice daily

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng