What causes dark blotches on lips while treating thyroid with Eltroxin?
Within a span of 1 week, I developed dark blotches on my upper & lower lips (pic attached). Please let me know what might have caused them & how I can get rid of them? I regularly use a good quality lip balm & lipstick. I did not use any new product or medicine. In the same forum I was suggested to use a steroid crème (Elocon cream) for this problem, but I am not comfortable to use steroids.
I have PCOS & hypothyroidism. I am using homeo for PCOS and Eltoxin tablet for thyroid.
Let me know if you need any other information.
Symptom wise approach
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and I do remember the consultation given to you on 24 Aug'2015 regarding weight loss.
A. It is said that if marks/spots appear on lips they do not have much of health risk but even then at your age (35) possible causes to exclude is/are:
. Excess exposure to sun?
. Too much Iron in the body ( check with complete blood count (CBC)
. excess intake of caffeineated drinks?
. any habit of lip biting/licking?
. Hormonal changes in women? (Since there is hypothyroidism/PCOS thus consult an OBGYN Doctor for the same)
. It could be allergy to your lipbalm/lipstick
. Sometimes deficiency of Vitamin B can lead to these spots (check the levels)
B. I'm personnely not in favour of the steroid cream since it contains "mometasone" which has a lot of ADR (Adverse Drug Reaction) and which can be seen on the face as skin atrophy-skin depigmentation and tingling and burning sensation so please avoid it.
C. Do clarify the points mentioned in B so that before starting medicines, natural/herbal home remedies can be initiated.
Dr Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician
I do not get much of sun exposure and mostly stay indoors.
I have 2 cups of tea daily.
I do not have habit of lip biting/licking
Hormonal changes - My thyroid levels are under control. I am taking homeo for PCOS since a year.
How do I check Vitamin B levels? The marks are so visible that it is very embarrassing when I talk. Please suggest a solution for this and let me know if you need any other information.
symptom wise management
Thanks for reverting back
1. Since all Vitamin B has different chemical entity but because all are often present in same food thus are known as Vitamin B complex and in it Vitamin B12 is the largest and most complex vitamin and also because it is not available from plant source thus becomes important for humans, so just ask to check for Vitamin B12 and folate level from blood.
PS. To test vitamin B level one should know that it is a complex of vitamins including (B1-B2-B3-B5-B6-B7-B9-B12) and because of this one may have several symptoms so in best Interest visit your nearest or Primary Doctor who will run BLOOD TEST to verify or exclude vitamin B deficiency and then will prescribe accordingly i.e. either Vitamin B supplement or may refer to a Dietitian who will recommend food rich in vitamin B.
2. Since most of the reports/results are normal thus
. Recommended: Curds,Boiled vegetables,Pumpkin,Fruits and fruit juices
. Foods to avoid or at least be consumed in moderation:Hot spicy foods,Animal fats,Eggs,Canned foods.
. You can rub a lemon peel on the skin with a little sugar on it or without the sugar. After rubbing it leave it on the skin for at least 10 minutes. If you practice this regularly you can reduce the blemish marks finely.
- Here is a homemade pack, which reduces the blemishes from the skin and improves the complexion:
. two spoonful of gram flour,
. add a pinch of turmeric
. few drops of lemon juice and make a paste with a spoonful of curd. Apply this pack on the face regularly and you will notice drastic changes in your skin.
. Wash your face with Besan and warm water soon after coming from outside as it is the best natural Bleaching Agent
. Grate potatoes, wrap them in a cloth and take out the juice. Mix few drops of lemon juice and honey to it and apply it on the face. If you don't want to apply it all over the face then apply only on the marks. Wash off after 20 minutes.
PS. Potato has bleaching agents, which reduces the blemishes. It's better if you apply on the entire face as it is very useful in reducing pigmentation and marks caused by sun XXXXXXX and burn.
. make a mixture of lemon and tomato juice and keep in refrigerator and apply on your face daily. [lightens the skin tone and reduces blemishes]
. besides you may take following management:
1. trifala ghrita [ghee] with cow's milk.
2.Arogyavardhini Vati 2 BD before food with XXXXXXX warm water and Sariva assav with water after food.
. apply a good sunscreen with SPF not more than 30
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes a swollen thyroid
- What is the cause of weight gain when on eltroxin
- What causes red blotches on skin
- What causes black blotches on the tongue
- What is causing red blotches on chest
- What infections cause thyroiditis
- What causes hashimotos thyroiditis
- What causes thyroid problems
- What could cause blotches in hands
- What causes red blotch between the upper lip and nose
- Bleeding from anus after passing stools, frequent smelly bowel movements...
- Child's skin becoming darker with little sun exposure. Stool is always...
- Suffered from Malaria, Chicken pox and skin problems. How keep myself...
- Underweight. Taking Ayruvedic treatment. No improvement. Suggest
- Have dry skin and soryasis symptoms on head. Has white spots on legs....
- Frequently suffer with dehydration. How can I overcome it?
- Suffering from Varicose veins in leg with swelling and pain which causes...
- Frequently getting cold and fever. How to gain weight and increase...
- Uderweight and having poor appetite. Started vomiting while eating. Help?
- What are the benefits of using baal amrit?