What causes cyst behind ear and itchy ear canal?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Nov 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I had a lump behind ear told was a cyst. My ear canal itched bad as it progressed and felt like canal blocked. I used a ear sucker and black spots come out of ear. The lump is gone but now inside of my ear is raw. I remembered a spot on neck line and having history of precancerous melenoma I can't help but to wonder if these are related and this is more of a possible skin cancer than cyst?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No melanoma; clotted blood. get ENT check up.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the possibility of melanoma in the ear canal or the probable cyst.

After reading your query with diligence let me first reassure you that there is no possibility of melanoma in your case. My observations are based on the most important thing that melanoma never represent either as cyst or as black spots from the ear canal or around the ear canal.

Your black spots might be relate to either the clotted blood from the cystic area or due to the wax or mixture of both. If you have this cyst from short period of time o few weeks to months then there is more possibility of acute inflammatory cyst where during mild to moderate bleeding the blood gets clotted. This clotted blood then later on appears in black spots and can also be intermixed with wax present in ear giving a feeling of closed ear canal.

As you used ear suction so whole of the internal collection came out easily. Had it been melanoma then either there would not had any chance black spots as well as if at all we think then must had been deep erosion with severe pain as main clinical manifestation.

I presently suggest you to get an ENT specialist check up so that the raw area could be taken care of. For the time being period do not use the suction as the area us bit raw and requires down time to get helped properly.

I hope these informations will relax you. I will be glad to answer any further queries.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 minutes later
Thank you. Now the spot on neck which has the hair in pictures is that a spot I should have a dermatologist look at?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Send good resolution pictures of the spot.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young lady,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks a lot for your swift response.

As being a dermatologist I quite often counsel your kind of cases where tater is lot of apprehension is there for the possibility of melanoma. But as I told earlier that melanomas are totally different entities and see first present as simple lentil en or mole like appearance for multiple years and then layer on slowly progresses to form melanoma in next couple of years. There is never a formation of cyst like appearance. Also to mention your ear area is not the site for melanoma. So just relax for the same.

If you want to send the picture of the spot or healing cyst then kindly upload good resolution pictures so that I can analyse these at higher magnification. For uploading the pictures you have a feature on the right side of the page.

Hope these informations will help you. I will be glad to answer any further queries.

With regards,
Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY