• question-icon

    What causes curving of penis during erection?

Posted on Mon, 14 Sep 2015 in Men's Health
Question: I have hardening in portions of the corpus spongiosum. It causes a major curvature during an erection. The portion that are hardened near the head can be sensitive. So far no blockage.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to Calcified Plaque.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have curvature of penis on erection and noticed hard lump in shaft of the penis .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem
1) Do you palpate hard lump in shaft of the penis ?
2) Is it painful?
3) Are you able to penetrate vagina without pain during intercourse ?
4) Since how long you have noticed this lump?

The curvature of penis that you get on erection is mostly due to calcified plaque in Tunica Albuenia a sheath that envelops erectile tissue (Corpora Cavernosa).

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of Penis

Normally this plaques gets resolved itself spontaneously over a period of 2 years .

Treatment is not required if the curvature of the penis on erection is minimal and does not pose any difficulty in penetration of vagina during intercourse.

The surgical correction is advised only if the curvature is more that 40 degree.

Further treatment will be decided by him and will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
In answer to your questions; 1) yes and there is a portion near the head that is sensitive and not as hard. 2) The portion at the base no ... the portion at the head is sensitive bordering on painful if erect. 3) no 4) 6 months ago . Calcified Plaque does fit the way it feels... Nothing to do for it? Thank You for your time and diagnosis.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keep monitoring the plaque .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for feedback and follow up.The calcified spot needs to be monitored at frequent intervals of every 4-6 months .

Consult Urologist if you suspect it to be increasing in size or penetration of vagina becomes painful
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. P. T. Patil


Practicing since :1971

Answered : 10183 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Corpus spongiosum

doctor1 MD

i have these ridges equally distributed around the connecting tissue between the corpus spongiosum and the glands of the penis, I have had them for...

doctor1 MD

doctor I think I have an internal infection and it hurts in connection to acid burning in my brain but I estimate it to hurt when I focus on the...

doctor1 MD

4 months ago i took an extenze pill right before i got in the shower.I thought it was like a viagra pill that would give me an erection for a few...

doctor1 MD

About 6 years ago, I engaged in urethral play with a former girlfriend. ever since then, I have had chronic premature ejaculation (20 to 30...

doctor1 MD

Dear. Dr. After fall injury, I have been having swollen penis/semi-erect when lying down, subsides when standing up or after walking for 10-15...

doctor1 MD

Dear Dr,
male, age 37 yrs,ht 172cms,wt 70 kgs,i mastrubate when iam 15 yrs old and still continous, at 33 yrs i did a penile doppler the report...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

190 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. P. T. Patil
  • Q - Have stomach pain, fever and loose stool. On omniprzole and ciplox. Any...

  • Q - Have had cyst removed from lips and noticed rigidness. Will it cure on...

  • Q - On medication for BP, body pain and frequent urination. Getting weakness...

  • Q - Having pain in testicle and noticed dark skin on it. What to do?

  • Q - Took medication for neurological problem and never had a desire for...

  • Q - Experiencing prolonged menstrual periods. What to do?

  • Q - Have increase frequency and urgency of urination. Any treatment?

  • Q - Why does my penis look small when not erect?

  • Q - Having on and off mouth ulcer. What is causing this and how to get rid...

  • Q - Noticed movable lump on the side of abdomen. What could it be?