What causes crushing sounds from knees while exercising?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I STARTED IN THE GYM LIKE THREE MONTHS AGO, AND SINCE A WEEK AGO MY KNEES START MAKING A SOUND LIKE WHEN YOU CRUSH EGGS AND ALSO HURTS WHEN I DO SQUATS, WHAT SHOUL I DO
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Knee cap chondromalacia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The egg crushing sound you referred to is known as crepitus. Excessive and improper exercise is commonly associated with the presentation that you have delineated. After a physical exam, plain radiographs of both knees should be obtained as the recent stress could have flared up an already present osteoarthritis in either or both knees. Diagnosis would be made by taking into account both clinical and radiological evidence as osteoarthritis doesn't have a single perfect lab test for diagnosis.

For the time being, you should avoid exerting to much load on the knee joints by doing static quadriceps exercises and avoiding squats, weight bearing etc as it could further damage the menisci, articular cartilage of the knees. Heat packs and ice packs can provide effective pain relief. Topical Capsaicin , topical and oral NSAIDs Dicerin, chondritin sulphate and Glycosamine can be prescribed by your doctor. Your doctor may order MRI of the knee to visualize any damage more clearly if the pain and crepitus persists

Let me know if you have any query

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil