What causes crowding of the rib cage?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: What causes rib crowding from a lack of spinal height and how do you treat and/or prevent it?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below. May be costochondritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Noted the medical history, current medications, allergies, taking Vitamin D and calcium, wants to know the cause of rib crowding whether from lack of spinal height and how to treat or prevent it.
You had a fall on concrete sidewalk in August 2014 - gone from diabetic to pre-diabetic by controlling diet, GB removed, recovered from Pancreatitis, still have pain on left and right side just below the rib cage, which your current Doctor thinks of rib crowding...

As per this history I would think of costochondritis as the most probable diagnosis, rib crowding can be due to costochondritis as the nearby inter-costal and abdominal muscles go into spasm causing rib crowding.

I would advice you the following:

Please get a clinical evaluation and examination and discuss the following points, hence to get the relief:

Good that you are already taking Baclofen 10mg at night, this will help in a better way if taken in proper dosages under the instruction of your Doctor.

Apply warmth, apply Rubefacient liniment.
Take bed-rest for the time being.

If the problem is recurrent then you may need the following:

Short course of oral steroid keeping in mind control of diabetes.
Serratiopeptidase may help.

Occasionally, strapping of the lower chest to stall the movement of the lower ribs helps by giving rest to the parts.

Anxiety and/or stress has a role to play in most of the patients and its control helps in recovery.

I hope, this answer helps you. Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee