What causes crawling sensation on the face and nose?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have a sensation of something crawling on. My face and in my nose. Also in my head but more so my face, my lips and big toe tingling/numb sensation
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Formication.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Sensations you've described are a form of paresthesias and tactile hallucinations know also as formication.

Conditions that may be associated with formication include effects of diabetic neuropathy, diseases of the spinal cord and peripheral nerves, some substance abuse, diseases of the spinal cord and peripheral nerves, menopause and even alcohol withdrawal.

So, it is necessary to get evaluated by your primary care Doctor about your concerns in order to narrow down the possible conditions and to understand better the cause. Treatment will be entirely based on the findings.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee