What causes cramps when working in sun but not dehydrated?

Question
I come home after working a full 12 hour shift in the sun.....and I feel very sick and I'm cramping up really bad.....what could be wrong other than dehydration? and what can I do about it?
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Electrolyte abnormality

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic .

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

Working under sun , there will load of more water from body due to sweating . Reduction in body fluid results in variation in electrolytes levels, which are responsible for your symptom.

You can have lot of fluid at your work to avoid dehydration.
Use potassium rich food like banana
Use fruit juice or electrolyte solution at your work.
If you stand in one place at your work , better to keep flexing your knees and moving your fingers, this will improve circulation of blood in calf muscle.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to ask further related query.