What causes cramps in left leg?

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having cramp in my left leg. Cramp in foot muscles and ventral part between knee and heel.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX

It is difficult for me to advise with such a short description. I would like to know few more details which will help me in advising you better:
1. Since when are you having this problem?
2. Are you having constant cramps?
3. Do you get back pain?
4. Are you having tingling and numbness in leg or feet?
5. Any History of injury to knee joint or any?
6. Do you have any other medical illness?

Kindly get back to me with details and I would help you further.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 41 minutes later
since 3 months but occassionally.

2. Are you having constant cramps?
Only during evening, no cramps in morning.

3. Do you get back pain?
No.

Feeling somewhat numbness little bit.

No.

No.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be postural related

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX
Thanks for your information.

According to your history it could be due to postural related muscle spasm or ligament strain.

I would suggest you take Paracetamol tablet if you are having continuous cramps and pain.
Apply heat pad to calf muscles which increases blood circulation.
Stretch and massage your leg muscles when you get cramps.
Avoid sitting in same position for long time. It causes contraction of muscles.
Keep leg upright position as you are doing already.
Drink plenty of water. Some times dehydration also causes fatigue.

If the symptoms doesn't improve after 3 days I would suggest you visit an orthopedic doctor for clinical examination to rule out ligament strain and other possibilities like achllis tendon (heel pad) related problems and get an x ray of knee and ankle joint.

I also suggest you get blood tests like serum electrolytes(sodium,potassium ) and calcium levels done.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
If you will not have any queries you can close the discussion and rate the answere if possible.
Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 17 hours later
Thanks for advice, it really helps.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That's my pleasure

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX

I was glad to help you.
I wish you a good health.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad