What causes cramping pain associated with diarrhea after eating rich food including dessert?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, for about 2 yrs now I’ve been experiencing these symptoms maybe once a month to every couple of wks generally on the weekends. We eat heavier including desserts etc and within about 30 min i have terrible cramping pain associated with diarrhea, then I’m fine later. Lately I’ve noticed a lot of gas that shouldn’t be normal. It’s hard to pinpoint what kind of foods could be causing it bc it can be random things i eat. I thought it may be dairy but sometimes the things I’ve ate in the past that caused it didn’t do it later, just random it seems. I had one episode after eating a lot of rich food, dessert and drinking a little bit of alcohol that i could have went to ER the pain was so bad while sitting on the toilet for about an hr.
* i would also like to add that I’ve been off of birth control pill for over 2yrs and of course a lot of hormonal acne still and believe my hormones are out of sort so not sure if this could be hormone related?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be very likely IBS. Relation to the hormone is less likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I've gone through your details.

I am Dr. Kumar and would be addressing your concerns.

As per your queries all your symptoms, as well as the duration of illness, is suggestive of Irritable bowel syndrome. However, IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion as there is no test to confirm you have IBS. It means that when you have nothing or all your investigations are normal you are labeled as having IBS.

Its a common disorder affecting the large intestine is the Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Abdominal pain, bloating, gas and diarrhea are some of the signs and symptoms of IBS. Foods, stress and other diseases can trigger the problem. In your case particular type of food appears to be the causative agent.

I would recommend you to go for few tests--
Colonoscopy
Fecal calprotectin
Stool routine and microscopy

If these tests are normal then you're likely to be having IBS. Feel free to ask further.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 52 minutes later
Thanks for the feedback. I know I need some tests done to eliminate. My symptoms seem to be close to chron's & ulcerative colitis which scares me being more severe. Can u tell me the difference with my symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Unfortunately my dear patient most of these problem related to gut have sams sst of symptoms so very difficult to distinguish on basis of symptoms only.From crohns to colitis to enteritis every thing has overlapping symptoms.Only tests can differenciate between them dear.

Please feel free to follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng