What causes crackling sounds while breathing when diagnosed with sinus infection and bronchitis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
I was recently diagnosed with a severe sinus infection and bronchitis. Now I can hear crackles when I breathe and by chest, back and arms feel heavy and achy. Should I be concerned or is this part of the illness?

My symptoms started last week on Wednesday. I saw the NP on Sunday. No crackled or heavy upper body feeling at that time.
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need chest x ray to rule out lung infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Crackles sound from lung is more suggestive of lung infection.
And lung infection is more likely after viral upper respiratory tract infection (URTI).
So in my opinion, you should definitely get done chest x ray to rule out lung infection.
You may need antibiotic if chest x ray is showing infection.
If chest x ray is normal then no need to worry much. Continue with current drugs.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.